Embedding a CaptureSpace Lite recording in D2L's Content or News area
About CaptureSpace Lite:
CaptureSpace Lite is a screen, webcam, and audio recorder that is comparable to other software like TechSmith's Camtasia or Telestream's Screenflow. Content creators can capture multi-stream webcam and audio inputs which are synchronized with a PowerPoint presentation or screen capture. Once presentations are created, they can be automatically published and viewed through any D2L tool with an HTML Editor (Content, News, Discussion, Quizzes, Dropbox).
The advantage of CaptureSpace Lite is it's ease of use and streamlined integration with D2L. The disadvantage is it's limited editing capabilities. While you can trim the beginning and end, or cut out a section in the middle of a recorded presentation, you can't re-record sections of the presentation. CaptureSpace Lite is ideal for short, informal recordings that provide students with logistical information about the course, module overviews, project descriptions, software or website tutorials, or feedback on assignments. In short, recordings that can be completed in one "take" without the need for extensive editing.
By default, CaptureSpace Lite in not available to students, however, instructors can *choose* to provide access to CaptureSpace Lite for course related media. Instructors can give students access to CaptureSpace Lite, by following these instructions: http://uwmltc.org/?p=7860
What you will learn in this tutorial:
This tutorial will show you how to embed a CaptureSpace Lite recording through the "Insert Stuff" tool in D2L's HTML Editor to the Content area or the News area of your D2L course site.
Before you begin:
1) You must have CaptureSpace Lite added to your D2L course Navigation Bar. If you DO NOT see CaptureSpace Lite on your Navigation Bar and you are:
- an instructor, please follow the steps in this tutorial: http://uwmltc.org/?p=13285
- a student, your instructor has not provided access to the tool and you should contact them for assistance
2) You must have installed the CaptureSpace Lite Desktop Recorder application. If not, please complete the steps in this tutorial: http://uwmltc.org/?p=13287
3) You must have created a a screen capture or narrated PowerPoint using the CaptureSpace Lite Desktop Recorder. If not, please use this tutorial: http://uwmltc.org/?p=13291
4) You must be enrolled in the course as an “Instructor” in the d2L course site.
You may wish to print this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: http://bit.ly/2gDu8OY
CONTENT TOPIC: Step #1
CONTENT TOPIC: Step #2
If you have already created the Module in which you’d like to place your screen recording, click [Table of Contents] Identify the Module title from the list of Modules.
- if you need to create a new Module in which you’ll place your screen recording,, click [Add a module...]. Provide a title for the Module.
From your chosen Module:
- Pull down the menu under [New].
- Select [Create a File].
SKIP OVER NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: Step #1 and Step #2 and proceed to Step #3.
NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: Step #1
NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT: Step #2
- From the [Insert Stuff] menu, click the [My Media] tab.
- Identify the CaptureSpace Lite recording you’d like to embed. If you recorded recently, it should be at the top of the list. If not, depending on the number of media files you have uploaded, you may need to run a keyword search. Click the TITLE (not the thumbnail image) of the presentation.
- Click [Next].