TurningPoint Cloud Known Issue: Student Data Not Recorded Due to Conflicting Participant Lists
Some instructors have reported that students who have visited the UWM HelpDesk and received confirmation that they are "class ready" for clicker participation are still receiving a "zero" score in the clicker session data that is exported to D2L.
- In these cases, no students should receive a score of zero because the instructors have set the clickers PowerPoint slides to award credit for both correct and incorrect answers.
- Absent students or students not clicking would receive a "dash" as a place holder in the D2L gradebook.
- The steps below outline why some students who are correctly participating with clickers might receive a score of "zero."
Turning Technologies has recently discovered that this issue can arise when there is a discrepancy between the participant list downloaded onto the computer the clickers session is associated with during the presentation (typically a UWM classroom podium computer), and the participant list downloaded to the computer from which the session file is exported to D2L (usually a personal office or home computer).
- Typically the participant list on the podium computer is not updated after it is initially downloaded
- Conversely, the participant list on an instructor's personal office or home computer is updated every time a session data file is exported to D2L. This is important because it allows data from students who were not initially set up with clickers to now be recorded.
- The discrepancies between the two participant lists (the updated list vs. the originally downloaded and out of date list) may cause some students to receive a score of "zero" even when they are properly set up for clicker use and are actively participating with clickers in class.
- The suggested best practice for associating participant lists with clickers presentations and session data files below will prevent this known issue from occurring.
The Preventative Solution Moving Forward
It is now recommended as a best practice that all instructors run their clickers PowerPoint Polling presentations with "Auto" selected instead of a specific participant list, and associate their session data files with the appropriate participant list afterward on their personal office or home computers. ***Due to this known issue, It is recommended to always export to D2L from the same computer!
Step 1: Run a presentation with the AUTO participant list
- The "auto" participant list can be found in the TPC dashboard under the Polling tab before your open your PowerPoint presentation file.
- You can also select the "auto" participant list in the Participants menu in the TurningPoint ribbon after opening your PowerPoint presentation file.
You may now proceed to reset your slides and give the presentation.
Step 2: Save Session Data
After finishing the clickers presentation on a classroom podium computer, save the session data file to a location that can be accessed later from your personal or home computer such as a flash drive, OneDrive, or another storage solution of your choosing.
- Click Save
- Select Save Session in the dropdown menu that appears
- Browse to find the location in which you want to save the session data file
- Close PowerPoint and you will return to the TPC dashboard.
Step 3: Import session data to personal office or home computer
- Open TurningPoint Cloud and sign in to your Turning Account.
- From the Manage tab, click the Session drop-down menu and select Import.
- Browse to the location of the session or sessions.
- Select the session or sessions and click Open.
- In the pop-up window that appears, select Leave in Place (Leaves the session in its current location, but also adds it to the list of sessions).
- Click OK. The import summary displays the status of each session or sessions selected for import.
- Click OK. The session or sessions are now displayed in the left panel under Auto
Step 4: Pairing an Auto Session to a Participant List
- Open TurningPoint Cloud and click the Manage tab.
- Expand Auto from the left panel.
- Select the appropriate session and drag and drop it into the appropriate participant list for your class.
- The session is now linked to the participant list and is ready for editing or export into D2L.