How Do I Embed My Media Videos into my Canvas Course Site?
Before you Begin:
This tutorial covers adding a video or audio file that has ALREADY been uploaded to My Media. Videos may have be added to your My Media account in multiple ways.
- You may have uploaded a video to My Media at another time, for a different course or semester.
- If you ordered captions for your video, you would have uploaded your video to My Media through the Account tab in Global Navigation.
- A colleague may have uploaded a video and added you as a Co-Editor or Co-Publisher.
- Recordings of Blackboard Collaborate session may have been uploaded to your My Media account as part of University of Wisconsin System's Media Management Process for Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Recordings.
If you have NOT already uploaded the video to My Media, a more streamlined process can be found in this tutorial, which explains how to upload a video or media file through My Media to a Canvas Page.
Adding a Module (Optional) - Step #1
Complete the following steps if you have NOT already added a module to the Home area of your Canvas course site. Skip to Step #3, if you've already added a module.
- From within your Canvas course site, navigate to the Home area.
- Click the Module button.
Adding a Module (Optional) - Step #2
- Type the module name.
- Click Add Module button.
- Click the Add button (looks like a "+").
- Select Page from the drop-down menu.
- Click New Page.
- Type the Page Name.
- Click Add Item.
- Click the title of the module item you just created.
- Click the Edit button.
- Click the Apps drop-down menu (icon looks like an electrical plug).
- Select My Media from the list.
- From your My Media library, locate the video you wish to embed. If you successfully locate the video, continue with this step, STEP #13.
If you are looking for Blackboard Collaborate recordings made in a specific course site, SKIP TO STEP #11 and use the search tool to locate these specific videos.
Locate BCU recordings (Optional) - Step #11
Navigate to the Canvas course site in which the BCU recordings were originally made.
Please note that this may may be a course offered in the past and may not be the current course site in which you plan to embed the videos.
In the browser web address bar, locate the six-digit number within the letter/number series. This six-digit number is the unique identifier for your Canvas course site. Each of your Canvas course sites will have a different six-digit number.
- Highlight the six-digit number and copy it to your computer's clipboard.
Locate BCU recordings (Optional) - Step #12
- In the "Search My Media" field, type the word "tag:" and then paste the six-digit number that you copied in Step #11.
- The results of this search will display the BCU recordings that were created in this specific course and were automatically copied into My Media.
Please note that each BCU recording will display the date of the original session, making it easier to locate the correct video.
Once you've located the video you wish to embed.
- EITHER, click the Embed Settings button (looks like a gray gear), to modify the embed settings.
- OR, click the Embed button, to embed the video with the default settings. If you select the Embed option, SKIP TO STEP #18.
Modify Player Settings (Optional) - Step #14
- In the "Embed Settings" area, you may change the player type and player size for the video that will be inserted into your Page.
- To change the player type, click the Choose Player drop-down menu and select the appropriate player.
- The "Default" player provides the standard player options (including the "Playback Speed" button and the "Full Screen" button).
- The "Download and Share" player provides buttons that your students can use to download the video or link to the video with a URL or embed code.
- The "Simplified" player removes the "Playback Speed" button from the default player.
- The "Transcript" player displays the video and the text transcript in a window below the player. The text is highlighted as it is played in the video and users can search for a specific term in the transcript file. Note: In order for the transcript player to display text, you must order automated captions through a separate process that is outline in the "How do I Order and Edit Automated Captions through My Media in Canvas" tutorial.
Modify Player Settings (Optional) - Step #15
- To change the player size, click the Max Embed Size drop-down menu.
If the video will be the only item in the Page description, you may want to select the largest size, 900x507. You may wish to make the player size smaller, 608x342 or 400x225, if you plan to add text to the Page description.
Modify Player Settings (Optional) - Step #16
- To set a different "Start" and "End" time for the video, select the Start at button and enter the time code for the point in the video you'd like students to begin watching.
- You may also wish to select the End at button and enter the time code for the point in the video you'd like students to stop watching.
Modify Player Settings (Optional) - Step #17
- Once the embed settings have been modified to your satisfaction, click the Embed button.
A preview of your video will appear in the Rich Content Editor window.
- Check the box in front of "Add to student to-do"
- Click the calendar icon and select the date when the assignment is Due.
- Click the Save and Publish button.